EGG PUDDING/ CARAMEL CUSTARD PUDDING (DETAILED RECIPE)




Caramel custard pudding or egg pudding is a very delicious and popular dessert around the world. The pudding is steamed hence there is no oil used. With just 3 ingredients that are available in every Indian home, this dessert can easily be prepared. I have already done a post on this but this is a more detailed recipe with step by step pics.

Serves: 4
Ingredients
3 eggs
3 cups of milk
9 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp sugar (for caramelizing)

Method

Boil 3 cups of milk in a pan, then reduce the heat and cook till the milk reduces to half (i.e. 1 and 1/2 cups). Allow the milk to cool down completely.

Take the egg yolks and whites in separate bowls and beat with an egg beater till fluffy. (The yolks will not be too fluffy). Add sugar and whites to the yolks and continue beating. Finally add milk and beat again. All ingredients must have been mixed well and the mixture should be completely covered with bubbles.





Now for caramelizing the sugar, take a aluminium pudding bowl and add 1 tbsp sugar and a few drops of water, place it directly on the stove and heat. The sugar will start melting and changing colour. Heat till it gets a golden colour. Remove immediately from the stove and after a minute, add the egg-milk-sugar mix to it.




Now take a steamer and place the pudding bowl at the centre. Close a lid over the bowl. Make sure that no moisture or water enters the pudding bowl. If necessary place some weight over the lid. Add water to the steamer such that it fills up to less than half the height of the pudding bowl. Then close the lid of the steamer (or idly cooker) and cook for about 20 minutes.




After 2 to 3 minutes, open the lid, and check if the pudding is cooked. For this insert a knife, if nothing sticks to it on being removed, it is cooked. Otherwise, add some water to the steamer and steam for 10 more minutes. Once done allow it to cool, and then refrigerate it for at least 2 hours. For serving, pass a knife along the sides of the pudding bowl, place a plate on top and turn the bowl caramel side up. Cut it into slices and serve.



You can also use a pressure cooker or an electric rice cooker to steam the pudding.The only addition is to place a perforated plate at the bottom of the cooker. The procedure and cooking time is the same. The pudding can also be cooked in an oven.




32 comments:

  1. Super tempting pudding !! looks YUM !!

    Ongoing event CC:Vegan Diet - Plant Based Food

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow what a easy way dear...will try this one with only 3 ingredients....these all ingredients commonly near to me..awesom

    ReplyDelete
  3. very delicious,will surely try out this recipe.

    foodydelight.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very yumm made Caramel Egg Pudding Dear.So deliciously explsined.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yummy n tempting pudding dear....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, looks really superb, awesome..

    ReplyDelete
  7. My hubby's favourite.. I use the same recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow..what a gorgeous egg pudding dear...loved it !

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow..pudding looks so delicious n tempting...very well made dear...thanks for the detailed recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I make caramel pudding like this all the time and everyone at home loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The clicks make me drool here.loved the colour n tatsy pudding too.......
    MAha

    ReplyDelete
  12. First time in your space..Happy to follow you!
    Check out my blog at http://followfoodie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always wanted to try this. Thanks for the step by step pictures...
    Happy to follow u... Do join me if u like my blog
    My culinary Trial room

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Amina,
    I have 'tagged' you in my post and would love to have you come over and take a look:)Hope it will be fun for you!!Do stop by!
    http://witwokandwisdom.blogspot.com/2012/03/of-tags-and-awards-and-much-delayed-ode.html

    Cheers,
    Sudha

    ReplyDelete
  15. always wanted to make this.. with these snaps will try ,... me first time at your space.. glad that I did... following you.. do visit Noel collections in your spare time

    ReplyDelete
  16. The pudding looks perfect Amina.

    I have an award for you. please collect it from my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. First time at your blog space and I was thrilled to see my favourite dessert on your latest post :) Delicious post. Following your blog now.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very delicious and yummy pudding..I have left an award for you. Please collect it at my blog.
    http://cuisinedelights.blogspot.in/2012/03/award-time.html

    Cuisine Delights
    My First Event-SPOTLIGHT:"LUNCHBOX IDEA" .

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow...what an easy to understand pictorial...i always had this in my mind...but was afraid to try this....would love to try this soon....thank u for sharing.....pudding looks creamy and yum.....

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful pudding,love it anytime. Thank you for linking with Any One Can Cook :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. One of my all time favourite desserts. In fact I made it just a couple of days ago for an iftar party. My recipe is slightly different as I use condensed milk and steam it in the oven instead of the stove. Thanks a lot for linking it to my Virtual Eid Potluck Party. Glad to follow you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. thank you thank you i have always wanted to try an authentic recipe for this!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very tempting Egg pudding amina
    Thank you for linking to my event

    ReplyDelete
  24. Can I make a caramel pudding in oven

    ReplyDelete
  25. Can I make a caramel pudding in oven

    ReplyDelete
  26. When there was a time of no youtube videos much , loved ua recipe as my mothers , n i have the same plate 👍

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting this blog...
I hope you have found my posts useful. I would be delighted if you could take time and share my posts on your social media channels and like my pages on Facebook and Google plus.
Do send in your comments... And keep visiting :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...