Bread is usually used to prepare sandwiches, upma, rolls etc. Another dish that can be prepared using bread is a halwa. Bread halwa can be prepared in a jiffy and tastes delicious. You can serve it hot or refrigerate for a few hours and serve it as a dessert after dinner.
8 slices of bread
4 cups milk10 tbsp sugar
½ tsp cardamom powder
5 to 6 tbsp chopped nuts (walnuts, cashews, pistachios, raisins and almonds)
3 tbsp ghee/ oil
- Cut the bread slices into small squares and keep ready.
- Heat a skillet or pan and dry roast the bread cubes in 3 or 4 batches till slightly golden.
- Heat ghee or oil in a pan and stir fry the nuts till golden. This will take just about a minute. Transfer the nuts from the pan to a plate immediately.
- Add milk and sugar to the same pan and bring to a boil. Cook for a few minutes, till the sugar dissolves.
- Now add the bread squares and cook till the bread squares turn soft and the halwa starts thickening.
- Add cardamom powder and the stir fried nuts and mix well.
- Serve hot or cold.