Bread rolls can be prepared in several different ways. They can be stuffed with vegetable or meat filling and stir fried or deep fried in oil. In this recipe the rolls have vegetable stuffing and have been deep fried in oil. Fried bread rolls taste much better than the stir fried ones :) You can serve these hot bread rolls with tomato ketchup or green chutney.
5 Slices of bread
4 potatoes skin peeled and cut into cubes
1/2 cup shelled peas and chopped carrots
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp chaat masala
Oil for frying
- Steam the vegetables and allow then to cool. Transfer to a muslin cloth and drain out the excess water if any.
- Transfer the vegetables to a dry bowl and gently mash them.
- Add red chilli powder, cumin powder, salt and chaat masala and mix well. Check for taste and add more chilli powder, salt or chaat masala if necessary. Form 5 equal oval shaped balls and keep ready.
- Take the bread slices and cut out the brown edges.
- Take water in a bowl and keep ready.
- Take one slice of bread and dip it in water and gently press with both hands to remove the excess water.
- Place one portion of the filling in the centre and gently cover the filling with the bread slice. Since the bread is now soft it can be shaped easily.
- In the same way make the remaining 4 rolls.
- Heat oil in a pan and wait till it gets hot. (To check this, drop a small bread crumb in oil, if it springs back to the surface at once, then oil is ready.)
- Carefully transfer the rolls to the pan and deep fry till golden brown in colour.
- Transfer the rolls to an absorbent paper and serve hot with tomato sauce.
Alternately you can also cook the stuffing before filling it in the bread slices. In this case heat a tbsp oil in a non stick pan and add the masalas and stir fry for a few seconds. Next add the vegetables and cook for a minute till the vegetables and masalas are well mixed. Allow the mix to cool down completely and then proceed with making the rolls.