Onion is a quintessential ingredient used in Indian cooking to prepare curries, sauces, chutneys, rice varieties, etc. Today's recipe is a simple recipe of paratha with onion as the main ingredient. This recipe does not require many ingredients or hours of preparation and hence is a perfect recipe you can turn to when you have little time and yet wish to have a change from your regular routine.
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tbsp oil
1 onion thinly sliced
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp salt (or to taste)
¼ tsp turmeric powder
½ tsp garam masala powder
½ tsp dry mango powder (amchur)
Water as required
- Heat a tbsp of oil in a non stick pan and saute the onions till golden.
- Add salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, dry mango powder and saute for a few seconds till the raw smell goes. Allow it to cool down slightly.
- Take a bowl, add flour and the sauteed onion mix and mix well.
- Add water little by little and knead to form a smooth dough.
- Add a tbsp of oil and knead again till the dough turns soft.
- Cover with a lid and set aside for an hour.
- Divide the dough into 6 or 8 equal balls and keep ready.
- Lightly dust with flour and roll out each ball to form a medium sized paratha.
- Heat a tava and cook the paratha on both sides applying butter till nice brown patches are seen.
- In the same way prepare the remaining parathas.
- Serve hot with curd, dal, mutter paneer or any gravy of your choice.