Curd rice is quintessential variety rice that is cooked in most south Indian homes. The recipe is simple but varies from home to home depending on the ingredients used. It is healthy and filling and is a perfect meal that you can have on a hot summer day.
2 cups rice
5 cups water
Salt to taste
1 cup thick curd
2 large onions chopped
A handful of curry leaves
3 to 4 tbsp oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
¼ tsp asafoetida powder
3 to 4 dry red chillies deseeded
- Cook the rice with water and salt in a pressure cooker and keep ready.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and allow them to sputter.
- Add onions, red chillies and curry leaves and saute till the onions turn golden.
- Next add asafoetida, salt and curd and mix well.
- Bring to a boil and add the cooked rice.
- Mix well and serve hot with pickle, stir fry or any other gravy of your choice.