Fried fish curry is a delicious and easy to make curry that tastes best with plain white rice. The fish slices are first fried in oil and then served with spicy onion and tomato based curry.
For the fried fish
4 large fish slices (Seer fish/ Vajram)
Red chilli powder
Salt to taste
Oil for frying
For the curry
2 tbsp oil
1 tbsp finely chopped ginger
1 tbsp finely chopped garlic
1 onion ground to a paste
1 onion cut into small squares
3 tomatoes ground to a paste
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp garam masala powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp soya sauce
Chopped coriander leaves
- Take the fish slices, apply salt and red chilli powder on both sides and set aside to marinate for atleast an hour.
- Heat oil in a pan and deep fry the fish slices one at a time till cooked.
- Transfer to a plate and keep ready.
- Heat oil in a pan and add finely chopped ginger and garlic.
- Saute for a few seconds till the raw smell goes.
- Add onion paste and saute for a couple of minutes.
- Next add red chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and salt and mix well.
- Next add tomato puree and cook till oil starts separating.
- Add the onion squares and soya sauce and mix well.
- Add 1 cup water and bring to a boil.
- Add the fish slices and chopped coriander leaves.
- Reduce heat, close a lid and cook for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Serve hot.